A Confident Loner

Sophie couldn’t sleep.

A brilliant moonbeam was slanting through a gap in the curtains. It was shining right on to her pillow.

The other children in the dormitory had been asleep for hours.

Sophie closed her eyes and lay quite still. She tried very hard to doze off.

It was no good. The moonbeam was like a silver blade slicing through the room on to her face.

The house was absolutely silent. No voices came up from downstairs. There were no footsteps on the floor above either.

The window behind the curtain was wide open, but nobody was walking on the pavement outside. No cars went by on the street. Not the tiniest sound could be heard anywhere. Sophie had never known such a silence.

Perhaps, she told herself, this is what they called the witching hour.

The witching hour, somebody had once whispered to her, was a special moment in the middle of the night when every child and every grown-up was in a deep deep sleep, and all the dark things came out from hiding and had the world to themselves.


As a child I used to be able to recite this story, The BFG, word for word for about twenty minutes. I had the cassette tape, and I always had a wonderful memory for things like that. (This now manifests itself in my ability to remember lyrics.) It's a stunning experience to re-read this as an almost-grownup. Even though I don't immediately recall the words of the story reading them now, it's as if I can faintly hear the echo of remembrance - and even stranger, I sense that this writing has influenced my thoughts and my own writing - without my even being aware of it.

Sophie Dahl, the inspiration for this character, is the granddaughter of the wonderful Roald Dahl, author of stories like James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Fantastic Mr Fox, Matilda, The Witches and, of course, The BFG. She has a cooking show on Food Channel in which she cooks according to certain themes or "moods" each week, such as melancholy or self-indulgence. She is quite captivating to watch and I have fallen a little bit in love. My mum and I have observed that her face reminds us of our friend Mari Day crossed with that of Petra Bagust. It's strange when people can remind us so strongly of others and be utterly unrelated.

Last week, "the delicious Miss Dahl" talked about dining alone. She said she always admires people who are confident enough to eat alone at a restaurant or a café - that those things which are deemed in school to be "uncool" become infinitely cooler as you get older. So today I took a leaf out of Sophie's book, and I went to a café with a book (a biography of Sylvia Plath) and a notebook & pen, and passed a wonderful afternoon as a confident loner. My verdict is: I thoroughly recommend it. There is no pressure to talk or to leave before you're ready - and you can people-watch quite unashamedly, without having to divide attention between the fascinating action playing out around you and conversation with somebody else!

Tell me about one of your favourite stories from childhood.
And: what are your views on dining alone? Or even going to films alone? That's something I haven't done yet.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok katie, this is so weird, i had the cassette of charlie and the chocolate factory, and i can recite that word for word also!!
Also hop on pop by dr seus.

i love the idea of dining alone, but something about it terrifies me, in an very irrational way. (as you know..) hahaha.

i think going to the cinema alone would be awesome, especially if the cinema was empty, and you were the only one there.

Anonymous said...

I fear I have lost my ability to remember words to that extent sometimes. Although I feel this skill has been replaced by many other useful things that I can do.

I go to a cafe every Friday afternoon after class and read the paper, doodle and write music. I've never thought about the confidence thing.

I guess it's because
I feel comfortable with myself.

Katie said...

Eva: Very crazy! Roald Dahl was certainly one of my favourite childhood authors... Fantastic Mr Fox was the other cassette I had. Loved it. Also, yes, I know about your irrational fears, but you must conquer them! Unfortunately in order for the cinema to be empty I think it would have to be a crappy film.

Who are you, Anonymous no. 2? I'm not freakin' psychic!

Anonymous said...

Doood! 'I'm not freakin' is one of my all time favourite rap songs.

Katie said...

Yeah same... I also like '2 Skeed 2 B Real Wit U Gurl'

Whatever it was lame I know!

Anonymous said...

It is very lame indeed, when too much skiing prevents a rapper from being real wit his gurl

Anonymous said...

Anonymous no. 2, you're hilarious!

I loooooove going to cafes by myself and I love going shopping by myself too. Have been to a movie by myself, was pretty awkward as it was a romantic movie so was surrounded by many couples.
A great cafe to go to and sit and read books in a relaxing atmosphere is The Bluebird on Dominion Road by Valley Road. Has big comfy couches to curl up on.

Anonymous said...

Katie, I constantly dine alone. And Roald Dahl was my absolute, absolute favourite. I related wonderfully well (for some reason) to the book, The Witches. I think I've read all of his stories, but funnily enough, he isn't the writer that makes me want to be a children's author. Even though I love him. My mum used to think I wrote just like him.

Anonymous said...

I'm actually a Frequent & Confident Loner? I wonder if Miss Dahl has been spying on me.

Anonymous said...

There's an alternative to dining alone?!

Katie said...

Karina: Sounds lovely - yes I knew you were the confident loner type. You have always been very self-sufficient. =)

Anon: It's a giant compliment to be compared to Roald Dahl...

Anon: Miss Dahl never spies. She is too busy being gorgeous.

Anon: Yes... it's called Social Dining, but I will cover that in another post!

Post a Comment