Since, As, Until

It is the 4th of September. It is 28 days until my birthday. It is two days until my first exam. It is too soon, too late, too now -

I know the tags in this post seem contradictory. How can I feel general exam apathy and general exam panic? I assure you, it's possible. However I'll soon be put out of my misery, as all five of my exams are on the first three days of the week and a half exam period, so I've got de petits vacances of five days. So at least that is something to look forward to, and then another couple of weeks and the holidays will be here...

Tomorrow is Father's Day. I don't know how I can even begin to co-ordinate and enhance one of these ordinary Sundays (which are, at best, resigned and low-key) to do justice to the man who carries a family on his back, and runs a household, and answers the door to visitors who stay longer than they should, and cooks meals, and folds clothes, and cares for his wife, our mother, with utter dedication and acquired knowledge that could practically qualify him to be a nurse. I am privileged to be this man's daughter. But how could any breakfast-in-bed or card or present express the profound weight and impact of that privilege? Father's Day is a joke. Neither the absence nor the presence of a father, and the effect of this, can ever be explained in a single day. It should not be a 'holiday' to be exploited by hardware stores and bookstores and so on. It must be an everyday event... or else it is empty, and meaningless.

So, tell me. What do you appreciate about your father?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! i feel exactly the same about my dad! I just dont know how our house would function without him... =)

Anonymous said...

This is true, but at the same time sometimes we really need a day to remember how grateful we are for them!

Post a Comment